Friday, March 2, 2018

Filler Friday





Last time I was in PA, I dug through some old photo albums. I'll share some pics through this year.
Here's one of my long gone Nana and Pop-Pop, my maternal grandparents - Elmer and Clarissa Shutters. Originally poor farmers from Indiana. I believe my grandmother did graduate from high school. He might have made it through eighth grade. Just solid, down home folks who worked hard, moved to PA, made a living, raised four kids - Lee, Jane, Juanita (my mom), and Richard - and were awesome grandparents.

My memory is him holding my hand as I skipped down the sidewalk. He ambled along and wore suspenders. She wore a house dress with an apron. And there was always candy in a bowl, that grubby little fingers could choose (even between meals!)

 I hope you have some hazy good memories of grandparents.

TGIF and enjoy your weekend.




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories Joanne, I lived with my maternal grandparents after my dad passed away when I was three along with mum and brother, I too have great memories.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to hear you have good memories. Ahhh. those were the days!

      Delete
  2. My grandmothers outlived my grandfathers by many years and I remember them best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have met my grandfather. My siblings did not. I remember him as a very gentle man.

      Delete
  3. That's a great picture... and some great memories. I have many good memories of my grandparents, too. My grandmothers were the last to go, and they died a week apart in 1960. Even after all these years, I still dream about my maternal grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Happy memories all around. I feel very lucky

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanne .. lovely clear photo - and such happy memories ... I do have some disjointed ones ... still better than nothing and we were miles away ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not many photos around and if there were my Uncle Lee had them, not my mother. But still - they always looked "old" to me. Perspective is a funny thing

      Delete
  5. Nice picture! It certainly was a simpler life back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. simple but tough. They had to work hard to make ends meet when my mom was young. She never talked much about it

      Delete
  6. Awesome pic and such sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy all the time is a win for any kid. Great memories to have indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well...it was within reason. I just remember never being told "no". My mom was much stricter, so it was a treat to go to the grandparents.

      Delete
  8. I love old family photos. I didn't know my grandfathers--one died long before I was born, and one died when I was a baby. I do have wonderful memories of my grandmothers though. I miss them both.

    ReplyDelete