Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Street Photographer - Vivian Maier


Check out the documentary Finding Vivian Maier. Then head to the Arlington Museum of Art to see fifty of Vivian Maier's excellent black and white photographs.  This woman worked as a nanny and also took photographs of ordinary people. "Her images represent an incredibly poignant glimpse into the lives of regular people going about the business of daily life."  She lived in the North Shore area of Chicago. Over 150,000 plus negatives and rolls of undeveloped film were accidentally discovered, after she died in her 80s.  This is fascinating and her perspective and eye for art was uncanny. Modest, unassuming, and immensely talented.  This is street photography at its finest.

As I always say, explore your backyard. The Arlington Museum of Art is not very big, but they pull in some nifty exhibits. It's worth an hour to step inside and enjoy some culture.


15 comments:

  1. Wow, she shot a lot of film. Hope they were able to save some of those rolls and negatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They processed a lot. It was a treasure trove

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne - I'm sure it would be fascinating .. so glad you enjoyed the exhibition and then were able to tell us about her ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I would enjoy seeing the exhibit. To imagine the talent "hidden" like that. Glad the film/negatives were found eventually.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot. You never know what is in your own backyard indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. worth exploring. A short wander thru a museum does wonders

      Delete
  5. I explored my backyard.
    Lotta dog poop. Guess I oughta get busy.
    Looks like Vivian has more talent in her finger than I have in my whole body.
    And probably no dog poop in her yard, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you should photograph the dog poop? Probably still not good art. Best to clean up, then watch the documentary on her

      Delete
  6. I explored my backyard.
    Lotta dog poop. Guess I oughta get busy.
    Looks like Vivian has more talent in her finger than I have in my whole body.
    And probably no dog poop in her yard, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This exhibit and documentary sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see that exhibit. I've always been so intimidated to shoot pics of people, either posed or candid. I really admire people who can. I prefer landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very modest and unassuming and could photograph people and life as it occurred.

      Delete