Monday, September 7, 2015

Hardscrabble Land

 Labor Day Monday and I'm not working. I shall reflect on those before me who fought for better factory conditions, against child labor, and a decent wage. I'm fortunate that I have a job indoors that pays very well, and I can set my own hours within reason.

Back to these pictures. Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday in San Saba at Aunt Pat's. Dry, crunchy land right now. Rather scary fire conditions. Watch where you walk - cactus and rocks are rough underfoot.
 You can clear a path of rocks and more seem to appear overnight.
It's just wicked. I am a city mouse. Enjoyed the visit and hearty breakfasts, but I scurried back to my backyard pool on Sunday and plunged into bliss.

16 comments:

  1. I'm like you - prefer the city and the indoors. Outdoors is just dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature.....there's just so much of it........(a quote from the dowager countess on Downton Abbey)

      Delete
  2. I know many think the West and the desert are beautiful and love spending time there. But I prefer moist places with green. I like lots of green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh I enjoy the city more too although I love to go on vacay in countrysides once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pool would be lovely about now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are expecting rain and a "cool" spell. That could end my pool season this week

      Delete
  5. I love walking outside - beach, countryside, mountains - but I'm not keen on things that might bite and kill me... You have things like that over there, don't you? :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - rattlesnakes and some wicked spiders down where we were. I feel better at a beach, frankly

      Delete
  6. I'm a city mouse too and wouldn't last long in that wicked wilderness.

    Have a great week, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it gives me some good stories to write, and Ray's family can laugh at (with) me.

      Delete
  7. Hard Scrabble?
    Have you tried Words With Friends?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the outdoors and being away from the city, but like Barbara mentioned above, I like to see green not brown. Sure looks hot in those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blaringly, glaringly hot. We were at 100 and it wasn't a "dry heat".

      Delete