Saturday, July 26, 2014

July Junque: Day 26

Ever since Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert has been on an upward trajectory. I liked that book (especially the eating in Italy section), and have read others. Her latest, The Signature of All Things, is now in paperback. I reviewed it many moons ago. She's interviewed in Entertainment Weekly (August 1st issue) and seems down to earth with a good sense of humor.

Here are few blurbs from that interview -
they ask her to name a book considered overrated - Having written a book that many people consider grossly overrated, I feel the only polite thing for me to do here is to gently dodge the question. (I am deeply sympathetic to authors who get pegged. We are a brotherhood of the apologetic and the abashed.)

any books you wished you'd written?  Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. All you can do in the presence of such singular genius is to bow down in wonder.

time you tried to buy your own book?   I recently tried to buy a copy of The Signature of All Things, in an Atlanta bookstore, only 10 minutes after I had finished a big event there. I asked the clerk and she'd never heard of it.  Say what?  Oh well, never mind.

things you've written that make you cringe and/or proud?  I feel cringey whenever I read passionate old essays of mine.
I am sincerely proud of all my books, though. If you've worked at something with all your heart, then you should feel free to love it with all your heart - no matter how it holds up or doesn't hold up over time.

July Junque - good writing advice - stay proud of your work, if you truly gave it your heart and soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment