Thursday, July 24, 2014

July Junque: Day 24

I think I've read some essays by Nadine Gordimer. I certainly knew the name, so when I read her obituary (passed at age 90), I felt remorse in not reading more. She was a Nobel Prize winner in 1991, and considered South Africa's literary conscience.

From Time Magazine 7/28/14 - her destiny was written in geography - in the racial and political agonies of apartheid. Her work was distinguished by her ability to sketch characters from every part of society and across the political spectrum with equal insight and empathy.

She was quoted, "Television and newspapers show people's lives at a certain point. But novels tell you what happened after the riot, what happened when everybody went home."

Sounds like a wise lady. I shall seek out her work.

July Junque -  a wide world of literature awaits exploration

No comments:

Post a Comment