Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Movie Review: Life of Pi

Life of Pi - hmm. I didn't read the book, but I'm guessing it was confusing and full of symbolism. I chose to see the film in super HD/3D and paid the $10 price. The filmmaking and cinematography were eye candy wonderful and no doubt shall get Oscar nominations for director Ang Lee. But, when I talk about that stuff first, well it means the movie wasn't my favorite. It was okayish, but I can't recommend it for everybody. It was slow and I did check my watch at times.

An Indian family has a zoo, but it must be sold and the family is moving to Canada. They own the animals and so board a freighter to cross the Pacific. A violent storm sinks the ship. These scenes are really good and I almost needed Dramamine to survive. When the sun finally shines, a teenaged Pi finds himself on a lifeboat with a zebra, a vicious hyena, an orangutan, and the Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. Life and nature are cruel. Ultimately it's Pi and the tiger who must try to survive.

The story is told in flashback by the grownup Pi, and I don't know that I liked the narration. As far as the young man Pi out in the Pacific - his efforts to survive and his communion with the tiger are quite good, as is the acting. Time Magazine in the 12/3/12 issue says, "Life of Pi is a giant leap forward in expanding the resources of cinema. Magical realism was rarely so magical and never before so real." I'll agree with that, but is that enough to make you see the movie? It's a tale of survival and faith, but is it worthy of full price and a tub of popcorn. My guess is too much holiday competition. The boy and his tiger will sadly sink.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'll wait to see it until it comes out on video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always you give a detailed review. This isn't one that intrigued me enough to go and see.
    I just have one question - did Matt Damon buy the zoo?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book, and I'm not sure I want to read or see the film. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete