Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D: Despair, Depression, Dumbells, & Daphne

D: Human life begins on the other side of despair - Jean-Paul Sartre

Characters need some despair in their lives, something to work through and ultimately overcome. The reader can feel his or her pain and wants to keep reading and rooting for that person.

In a real dark night of the soul, it is always three o'clock in the morning, day after day- F.Scott Fitzgerald.

Depression can torment your character. But again the writer can have him or her fight through it (pill taking, psychiatric visits), wallow in it, and use it to create a strong, albeit flawed, individual.

Hand dumbells - I just wanted to use the word and picture to honor the letter D. Often I despair of exercise, and am depressed by my Wii Fitness score. Minor setbacks to be sure, but I'm deluded in thinking I'll achieve Olympian skills.

Finally - Daphne, a female name, an ornamental flower with a deadly berry fruit. Baked in a pie and eaten, death can occur in a few hours. It is one of the oldest plants recognized as poisonous.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, scary, I hope I never experience Daphne pie! This was a great post, it's interesting to learn about how despair and depression can be used with writing characters :) You have a lovely blog :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, I also despair at my Wii fitness score. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My characters have a lot of despair an depression - but I find I fall into those feelings alongside them as I'm writing. I've never found a way to separate myself from my characters!

    ReplyDelete