Monday, April 2, 2012

B: Bluebonnets and Belladonna

A to Z Blog Challenge. B. I have to feature Bluebonnets - the Texas flower. This time of year they are plentiful on every roadside and byway, thanks to the late Lady Bird Johnson and her wildflower initiative. For some reason, this past week on I35 we drove ve....rrrr....yyyy slowly and I was late to work every day. No crashes, no bodies strewn on the freeway. I didn't get to gawk at anything horrible. However, there was time to notice the bluebonnets.





Belladonna - I decided to check out my book on Deadly Doses - a writer's guide to poisons. Belladonna, also known as nightshade, is a plant from Southern Eurasia. It's useful in writing a murder mystery because it paralyzes the nervous system. It can induce fever, convulsions, and death. All very dramatic for a story. I don't even write murder mysteries (yet), but I decided to explore the theme during the A to Z challenge.


2 comments:

  1. Those flowers are so pretty! I've never seen any in person, but I'd love to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bluebonnets!

    Belladonna... the name sounds pretty, which makes the poison sound more sinister. It means beautiful lady, doesn't it? Bella + donna. Perhaps referring to the virgin Mary... That sounds like an interesting book. Though I don't know if I'd exactly want it around if anything suspicious ever happened near me. ;)

    By the way, I love the name of your blog! Word Splash... that makes me think of bright colors and descriptions. My blog name is sort of similar - it's called Word Art. :)

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete