Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veteran's Day Salute

Lovely Saturday morning at Spinks Airfield, Fort Worth Texas. Under blue skies, folks could admire The Flying Fortress and contemplate history.

The majestic power of the B17 is formidable. The numbers are staggering - successful missions, and alas, horrific casualties in WWII.




I sat in the green metal cavern, wincing at the loud engines, looking at bombs, and trying to imagine the chaos during battle. Jouncing in the air, it was all I could do to stay seated and look out the window. I can't imagine the tension, intensity, adrenaline, and focus of our young fighters - doing their jobs, intent on an American victory. WWII veterans are in their 80s and 90s now.


I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. Winston Churchill, 1940


I had the amazing opportunity to fly in a B17 bomber on a sunny day - under no duress. I salute all of our veterans of service.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Joanne, what a great opportunity. No wonder you were so excited about it. What a rush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sharon - you were able to comment on my post! hooray, the blogpost guardian let you thru. Indeed, I felt bad missing part of Chuck's speech, but this was too amazing. My boss is very generous in treating us all to very cool stuff. The B17 ride goes in my memory scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete