Sunday, April 10, 2011

April Love

A Map of Love by Donald Justice


Your face more than others' faces

Maps the half remembered places

I have come to while I slept -

Continents a dream had kept

Secret from all waking folk

Till to your face I awoke

And remembered then the shore,

And the dark interior.

The More Loving One - W.H. Auden


Looking up at the stars, I know quite well


That, for all they care,


I can go to hell


But on earth indifference is the least


We have to dread from man or beast


How should we like it were we stars to burn


With a passion for us we could not return?


If equal affection cannot be,


Let the other more loving one be me.


Admirer as I think I am


Of stars that do not give a damn


I cannot, now I see them, say


I missed one terribly all day


Were all stars to disappear or die


I should learn to look at an empty sky


And feel its total dark sublime


Though this might take me a little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment