Thursday, February 4, 2010

There's a Reason for February

Gray sky bleeds through empty boughs. Rain drop blahs penetrate the soul. But there's a reason for February. Hibernation. There's absolutely nothing one can do but wallow in a sweatshirt, sip hot cocoa, and read. For those who say they don't have enough time to read - how many hours will you spend watching the Super Bowl, not to mention pre-Super events? I'm not saying you should skip the Super Bowl party. Believe me, my butt will be planted with a bowl of chips by my side. However, think about your allocation of time and then hallow out minutes or an hour in a week to read a book or magazine that appeals to you.
Have a book handy that you want to read, not one you think you should read. There's a difference. Quiet with no distractions is essential. I just finished The Likeness by Tana French. Fun exciting read and I ignored cooking, cleaning, and other duties that weren't going to go away to zoom to the conclusion. Whew!

February is a month to get entangled in an exciting story or twisted plot. Find a book that ensnares you. Revel in the wordplay. Love or hate characters. Be happy the groundhog saw his shadow and there's six more weeks of winter. Hide the rake. Shut the door on the vacuum.
Rejoice in reading. Up next for me - The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee


1 comment:

  1. Very well said. I dislike February for a couple of reasons. My mom died during this month, for one, but mostly, I get tired of the endless gray skies and cold weather. You make a good point to enjoy this time with a great book and relish snuggling inside. Headed to make a cup of hot chocolate and snuggle down with some words. Thanks for the perspective!

    ReplyDelete