Monday, June 22, 2009

grand finale of support the arts and suggested reads

Abigail is five and shall be starting kindergarten in the fall. Right now she loves to be read to - any Dr.Seuss, any counting book, anything. The sheer joy of attention, pictures, and words - she's absorbing it all and I truly hope to continue to influence her amidst the hubbub of television, computer stuff, phone applications, and God knows what else is ahead in the technology world. Sometimes it feels like a losing battle, but when she comes to our house - books are entertainment. (and swimming!!!)

Jump or dive into the pool of knowledge! Gotta love summer, Father's Day, and pool time. These boys are extended family and total cuties. Cade, Zach, and Zeke. I asked them what they were doing for the summer ( okay, the young one doesn't really talk) and the 7 and 6 year old mentionned Wii, Computer Games, etc. I asked about books and reading............oooooops.
So, I've been talking about suggested reading lists from schools or even required reading lists. Bah humbug. How about just reading????? I grew up in a family of literature - books, magazines, comics, and weekly trips to the library. Nerdish - hell, yeah, but that's what we did. However, my late mother was a bit avant garde -she was a believer in free choice. She allowed MAD magazine, comic books,etc. She believed in reading..........and she knew we'd explore other material. I encouraged Kevin as a teen (he's now 27) to pursue SIM City on the computer - he bought and devoured a book on the game - words, the keys to the kingdom. I didn't care - I was happy that he read something!
That's the key. Whether it's Harry Potter, Twilight series, or Dickens, Austen, and Poe. Try to steer kids/folks to read. It shouldn't be a chore. It should be sheer joy, absolute escape, and magnificent freedom.
Selfishly, I want everybody to someday buy my book. Thus they need to get in the habit of reading.
Cheers!
Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment