Thursday, May 28, 2009

Van Cliburn Part 1

Angel trumpets call. Steinways glisten. Bass Hall, Fort Worth TEXAS beckons - attend the 2009 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition and you won't be disappointed. Fabulisimo - is that a word?? If not, it is now. Wow!
I know nothing about classical music, but left my writing computer to support the arts. Enter a whole new world, a realm of language with movements, artistry, and some damn fierce tinkling of the ivories. I attended the first semi-final performance this afternoon and was amazed at the skills. I didn't know when to clap - oops, not at the movements, but rather at the full blazing crescendo of sound. Don't cough, don't shuffle your feet, just embrace the sound and swoon - whether it's Beethoven, Brahms, or Liszt.

I'll be honest. I grew up with Billy Joel or Elton John banging the ivories, and I bet these kids could throw out some boogie-woogie. However, I'll discuss in Part 2 - sonatas in a minor key, suites for piano, or a nocturne I really liked. (yea - we're talking left-hand, baby.
I thought about this event and writing. There's a lot of similarities - pacing, drama, and arcs. I'll save that for part II
For anyone reading this in the vicinity of Fort Worth - get out there. Support a superb event and eat a burger at Billy Miners. Yum.
Joanne

1 comment:

  1. I remember the construction of the Bass Hall when I worked in an office across the street and enjoyed watching the building sprout up. It still amazes me that we live in a town where we are fortunate to have such a striking building with so many great productions. The Van Cliburn competition always leaves me in awe - so much young talent.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete